Take part in our first ever cardboard challenge! Start by forming a team of 1-4 people, and then sign up in the library by the end of the day on September 23rd.
Your task is to make a cardboard based creation that is either a game or some form of entertainment. If you want inspiration watch Caine’s Arcade or visit the Cardboard Challenge site.
Spend the week of September 19-23 forming a team, brainstorming ideas, making sketches, writing up a list of supplies you think you’ll need, and giving your list of dream supplies to Ms. Roohi. She’ll do her best to find them, but you need to be flexible and creative! That’s what this is all about!
Then on Monday morning, September 26th at 7:45, you can start building and the fun starts!
- Your creation must have at least one cardboard box in it
- It must be made entirely out of recycled materials except for tape, glue and markers
- The library will have a supply of recycled materials for you to use, and also markers, glue and tape
- You may also bring in items from home if they are recycled, reused or pre-owned. They must be clean! Do NOT make a trip to the store (or send your mom either). The challenge is to create something new out of something you would otherwise throw away, to creatively solve problems with limited supplies. It will not look beautiful or perfect, but it should be fun! When looking around your home for supplies think of things like:
o Cardboard boxes and tubes
o Plastic bottles and food containers (clean)
o Tin cans (clean)
o Newspapers or other useful paper in your recycle bin
o Yarn, string, ribbon, wire, pipe cleaners
o Buttons, washers, googly eyes
o Packing materials such as peanuts, bubble wrap, air pouches
o Old bits of foil, old wrapping paper, old bags (paper or plastic)
o Any trash you throw away that seems cool that isn’t food and is dry (think of all the product packaging you throw out)
- Your project must be built entirely in the library. We are open between 7:45-3:15. If you come during class you must have a pass
- It must be constructed between September 26th and 30th
We will have an arcade open house at lunch on Monday, October 3rd for you to show off your creation and to try out other people’s games. Remember this is an exhibition, not a competition!
Periodic updates and cool ideas will be posted on the library’s website and the library’s Instagram account (@booktalk_Tuesday). Watch GVTV too!