Friday, September 20, 2013
Check out this visual list of some of the most frequently challenged books in America over the past few decades. Here is a map of where challenges have taken place over the last six years. Surprised? If a title surprises you, think about how it might have offended someone. Does it offend you? Should it be restricted so some people (like you) can't read it? What do we lose when we don't read ideas contrary to our own?
Friday, September 13, 2013
Battle of the Books starts October 8th, 2013, and will continue every Tuesday and Thursday through January 23rd. Practice is during lunch in the library. Students wanting to participate this year can find the book summaries here, and the permission slip here. Please bring permission slips to the library on or before October 8th. Students do not have to have a team to join! Please stop by the library for a permission slip or to ask questions. Start reading one of these fantastic books today:
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Student ID cards arrived today. So now is a great time to create an account on the library catalog! Any student in the school can create an account on the library catalog. It is easy and takes about three minutes. All you need is your 14 digit library number. This can be found on your ID card, or can be gotten from the librarian. Why create an account?
- Renew books!
- Put popular books on hold so you are the next person to get it!
- Give books a 1-5 star rating!
- Leave a review on a book you loved or hated!
- Create lists of books, perhaps for books you want to read!
Tuesday, September 3, 2013
- Eighth graders, we will be open starting Wednesday
- Seventh graders, we will be open starting Friday
Everyone, please remember these simple rules:
- Eat in the lunch room, not the library
- Get a pass from a teacher or the library before lunch starts
- Sign in and leave your pass at the circulation desk
- Leave your lunch items on the table by the door
- Have fun!